Saturday, March 8, 2008

Challenge 4 - December 2007


credits:
fancy month brushes & bleached linen paper - nancie rowe janitz
happy stripes elements – michelle coleman
fonts-lancastershire & overprint dsg

Located on a mountain top in Germany near Hohenschwangau
in southwest Bavaria, Schloss Neuschwanstein was built by
Ludwig II of Bavaria as a retreat and as an homage to
Richard Wagner, the King’s inspiring muse.

It has long been my dream to visit this castle. Over the
years, I have kept a portrait of this castle on my desk
at work. Many times, I would gaze at the castle and
daydream about the time that I might go to Bavaria
to visit this historic site.

My husband & I visited our daughter & son this past
December. All of us traveled by plane to Germany where,
within the course of our visit, we were able to tour this
astounding castle.

We traveled by horse drawn carriage up the mountain
to the citadel, huddled under warm woolen blankets
while the cold bit at our faces. Once at the top,
we entered the tour at the courtyard and began
our journey of wonder. As we climbed the steep,
winding steps, we peered out the narrow,
rectangular windows at the breathtaking
view out over the mountains.

An overwhelming influence of swans beheld our
interest as every room held a treasure trove
of items. The immense kitchens that could feed
an entire town; the throne room that held
the gem encrusted chandelier, and the
paintings on almost every ceiling

I closed my eyes tightly and imagined that I
was the princess that lived high atop the mountain
in this fairytale castle built especially for me.
It was the trip of a lifetime, one which I never thought
to take. And I will treasure the memories forever.

No comments: